What do I need to bring the day of my procedure?
- Your insurance card(s)
- Driver’s License or Photo ID
- A list of your current medications
- A portion of your procedure payment
- Leave valuables and jewelry at home.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothes
- Please arrive at the center as directed by your doctor’s office. You should expect a stay of two to five hours depending on your procedure..
- If you’re younger than 18, you must have a parent or guardian accompany you to sign your paperwork. If you are an adult who is unable to sign the consent, you must have someone with you who is authorized to sign on your behalf.
- Bring the name and phone number of the person (must be 16 years or older with a valid driver’s license) who will be taking you home. If you are the last case of the day, your ride will be asked to remain at the facility until your discharge. You will not be permitted to drive, take a taxi alone or leave the center without an adult chaperone.
- For Surgery Patients: Nothing to eat or drink 8
hours before surgery; this includes gum, mints, hard candy. If your
doctor instructed you to take a certain medication by mouth the morning
of surgery, you may do so with a SIP of water.
- For Pain Management Patients Receiving Sedation: You may drink clear liquids up to TWO hours before the procedure. A light meal may be eaten up to FOUR hours before.
PATIENTS WHO FAIL TO FOLLOW THESE GUIDELINES MAY HAVE THEIR CASE CANCELLED.
DAY OF SURGERY
- Bathe or shower and brush your teeth the morning of your procedure. Mascara, make-up, lipstick, nail polish and contacts should be removed prior to the morning of the procedure.
- Dress comfortably. Tight fitting clothing may feel restrictive following some procedures, and sensible shoes allow ambulating to be easier following anesthesia.
- Please leave all valuables at home including jewelry, wallets and purses. (But don't forget your insurance cards/insurance forms and proof of identification.)
- Limit the number of people accompanying you. We request only one to maximize the comfort of everyone waiting. Both parents of our pediatric patients are welcome.
- Refrain from smoking after 6:00 p.m. the day before your surgery.
AFTER YOUR PROCEDURE
- Following your procedure, you will be moved to our fully equipped recovery area. There, our anesthesia and nursing staff will closely monitor you. The length of stay varies, and most patients are discharged within one-to-three hours.
- Your physician will provide post-procedure instructions regarding diet, rest and medication. The center will provide you with a written summary of these instructions.
- Plan to have someone stay with you for 24 hours following your procedure, and pamper yourself during this time.
- Since it is normal to feel drowsy after receiving anesthetic medication, we also recommend that you postpone the following activities for 24 hours after discharge:
- Driving and operating equipment
- Signing important papers
- Making significant decisions
- Drinking alcoholic beverages
If you still have questions after you have read this information, please do not hesitate to call us at (602) 288-4441.
You can also download our patient brochure by clicking here.